Background

July 20, 2010

Trip to Washington

After closing on our house, we headed to Iowa to celebrate the marriage of our good friends, Nick and Megan.  Then, we drove back to Omaha for a day before flying to Washington to visit some of my family and friends.  It was soooo good to be back in the Northwest again!  We had a wonderful time, and are so grateful to all who hosted, as well as those who came to us!  
Within 15 minutes of our arrival at my brother Tim's house, Henry's cousin Catherine had taught him to ride a bike without training wheels!  We were so impressed, and he was so proud.  It was not long after that, that he was doing figure 8's and riding up and down the curb, and then he upgraded to a bigger bike.  Here is our impressive little dude in action
Unfortunately, the day before we left, Henry had a collision accident on the bike, which landed him in the E.R. with a broken arm. 
We flew back to Omaha the next day with Henry in a splint, and he got his cast the following day in 
Omaha.
He is the proud owner of a green cast.  Initially, he was eager to explain what happened-
"I was riding Catherine's teeny-tiny bike, and I crashed into Luke's bike and I fell and broke my arm.  I had to go to the hospital, but I didn't have to get a shot," he proudly declared.
The novelty has worn off, and now he asks me to answer the question, "what did you do to your arm?"
Josh and I have been so impressed with Henry through all of this.  He has been so brave, and he hasn't complained...not once!  He quickly adapted to using his left hand, legs, mouth or whatever to continue on being the independent & active child that he is.  As parents, it has been a bit heartbreaking at times limiting his activities and knowing that he is patiently waiting to partake.  Every hotel we were at had a pool, and he just can't wait to dig in the sand and run into the ocean...
More on our trip to Washington to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment