Background

February 1, 2013

Another Birthday- still living in last year....


Late December, back in 2012, Henry turned 7!  Once again, it amazes me how quickly a year goes by.  My very first baby is seven!  I have many memories of when I was seven, and so it is weird to have a child an age that I can remember being.  Since Henry drew the short straw of being the "trial and error child" (AKA firstborn), each year of his life is a new adventure for us.  Some special things about our seven year old...
1.  He is desperately seeking to find a purposeful sense of humor- often times this renders him to be annoying, or results in a punishment, but once in awhile he successfully has us rolling.
2.  We are able to joke with him more- for example, he recently asked Josh if he had knowledge of a particular subject to which Josh replied obnoxiously, "I know, that's EEEEZZZZY, that's EEEEEZZZZY, I know, that's EEEEZZZY, SOOOO EEEEZZZZZY."  I asked the boys who Dad sounded like, and Henry burst out in a genuine laugh, grabbed his stomach while bending over and said, "I know, it's me, I do that."  ....and we all laughed.
3.  Henry has still retained some child-like innocence and will occasionally verbalize his precious thoughts...
"Mom, can we take other peoples' grace?"
He speaks very legalistically...a response of his to any sort of statement from somebody would frequently be, "True."  And, he often begins his conversations with, "Secondly...."
4.  Being a bit older, he can really appreciate the twins' milestones with Josh and I which inspires us to tell him stories of his younger years, and he LOVES this.  He enjoys looking at his baby album, and asks all sorts of questions about each one.  I love this, it is fun for us to remember and share fond memories of ours with him.
5.  Henry may deny it, but he is quite the little book worm, and I often find him reading the Bible or about the Saints, which makes my heart happy.
6.  Every now and then, Henry comes to me and tells me that he is making a sacrifice, like not riding his bike, or eating candy, etc just because he loves God.  He has no idea, but he inspires me.
7.  Henry is a HUGE help around here.  He sometimes comes to me and says, "Mom, what can I do to help?"  Be still my heart....as I try not to pass out, I thank him for his offer, and tell him that very question is one of the best questions he can ever ask a girl!  

We celebrated his birthday with a few of his friends at the bowling alley, and he was showered with love, and attention the whole day.

The next day we went to the ice skating rink to celebrate one of our little friends' birthdays.  It was the first time ice skating for the boys, and boy were they surprised!  Despite our warnings, they assumed they would be fantastic ice skaters, but after their first fall, about 1/2 inch into the rink, they had the looks of utter disbelief on their faces!  After a little pep talk, they dusted themselves off, and headed out again.  The rink had little "walkers" for kids, which helped a ton, and gave them a little success.  We survived the outing and they were pretty proud of their progress.  Unfortunately for me, the rink did not have skates that fit Josh, so I had to lace up and channel my inner Dorothy Hamill and get out there with the boys.  It had been years since I skated, and it brought back many fun childhood memories, but it was no easy task keeping three boys upright on the ice- I was tired!

1 comment:

  1. Since you brought her up, this post beckons a Dorothy Hamill haircut photo from your earlier days.

    ReplyDelete